April 16th, 2003


(no subject)

so my mother forwarded me this e-mail

Subject: FW: Safety first when Fuelling vehicles The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations. In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car.

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

i'm skeptical. i'll be doing a google search on this soon.

here are my questions.

first, what make, modle, etc of phones were involved in said incidents?
what internally happened to cause this?

my first thought, some type of spark (dugh) but why would a cell phone spark like such?

anyone who has thoughts/ideas on this, please reply, i'm muy curioso.

  • Current Mood
    curious curious