Log in

No account? Create an account
Government Red Tape Sucks - The Mad Ramblings of Nchanter — LiveJournal [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]

[ website | nchanted.net ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Government Red Tape Sucks [May. 2nd, 2007|09:56 am]
[emotional state |busybusy]

OK, today I go to the RMV to get my license transferred over here. My mother is also mailing me the title to the car. I would like to have the car registered by close-of-buisness on Friday. You need to have a car insured to get it registered, and I'm pretty sure you need to have the car registered to get it insured. Also, probably, have it titled in your name... Friday is gonna be a lot of buerocratic nonsense and running around, I really do believe.

Here's the thing -- I don't got an insurance company/agent yet. I'll take your suggestions, or "DON'T USE THEM!" bits to help me in this process. Comments are welcomed, but if you don't want someone's contact info floating around on the internet, e-mail me at username at nchanted dot net.

I also realize that I might not be able to get this done by end-of-buisness Friday. It *needs* to be done by end of buisness Tuesday, so I can have breathing room to, ugh, fail inspection on Wednesday and hopefully get whatever minor problem fixed the following Monday before driving the car down to Virginia the Following Tuesday.


[User Picture]From: lucky_otter
2007-05-02 03:20 pm (UTC)
When you get insurance, give the signed title transfer card to the insurance agent and they'll file it. They may charge you a few bucks for this.

Do you need the title transferred to get it inspected?
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: nchanter
2007-05-02 03:45 pm (UTC)
No, but I need it transfered to get it registered in my name, but that all gets done at once. Once it's registered it can get inspected. I have gotten cars registered in other people's names inspected before.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: supercheesegirl
2007-05-02 03:33 pm (UTC)
I remember doing that. What an absolute pain. Bring a book and get comfy at the RMV.

Whatever you do, make sure you pick an insurance company that knows how to deal with Massachusetts. Apparently MA has weird laws or something and not every company will cover in MA. Geico does not.

I had Amica for my insurance--they were not the greatest. They claimed to cover MA, but only certain people in certain departments knew about MA stuff, and everyone else would act all terrified when I called and then would transfer me to the other office and then that office would be closed and I would have to wait for someone to call me back and it was just a hassle. When I was trying to register the car, they messed up a form they sent me--it was supposed to be signed, to prove I had insurance, but they didn't sign it, so I called up and bitched from the RMV. A guy drove out from their office to meet me and take care of it, which was nice, but it would have been nicer not to have had the problem in the first place.

Right now I have Travelers. I don't know if they cover in MA. I do know that they've been totally on top of things and responsive since my accident last week.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: darxus
2007-05-02 03:54 pm (UTC)
I've found the process really simple (once I figured it out). Bring your title and check book to the people you want to get insurance from, and they do the registering for you and give you a plate. I've done this in one day with two visits (before and after work).

I use Nancy Bender Insurance, but only because they're widely recommended by motorcyclists. I've been happy with them.

Nancy Bender Insurance
31 Milk St Ste 420
Boston, MA 02109
Phone: (617) 367-4900

Even easy to get to, a few blocks from a red line station.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: doeeyedbunny
2007-05-02 06:13 pm (UTC)
I went through this in Feb. First, I got insurance and they gave me the form I needed for the RMV to get the car registered. I took that form to the RMV as well as the form needed to transfer ownership of a car to a family member (which needs to be signed by both parties.) I filed both forms that day and left w/ the new registration and plates. The new title arrived a month later.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: nchanter
2007-05-02 06:18 pm (UTC)
Where the *fuck* on the RMV website does it say a form that needs to be signed by both parties. It just says the title needs to be signed by both parties...
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: doeeyedbunny
2007-05-02 07:18 pm (UTC)
It's a form they gave me at the RMV (I don't see it on their website.)
If you bought the car from your mom, you would just need the title signed by seller and owner. But if she is giving you the car, you need the extra form as well as the title.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: darxus
2007-05-02 10:43 pm (UTC)
Another thing I forgot to mention that I brought was a bill of sale. A brief letter dictated to me over the phone by the insurance person, signed by the seller and buyer. It was basically "On this date, this make and model is being sold by this person to this person with this many miles on it."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: laserhen
2007-05-03 12:43 am (UTC)
Nationwide sucks. We've had good luck with Progressive. Your mileage may vary (no pun intended). I've had Progressive in both Pennsylvania and Arizona. I don't know if being in MA makes a difference or not. Good luck on Friday... I hate red tape bullshit.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: some_kitten
2007-05-04 05:55 am (UTC)
I don't know how much you've sorted out yet, but ask marphod for Steve's contact info. He's good about getting stuff done when it needs to be done in a time crunch, but he's occasionally a little flighty if it's not an emergency.
(Reply) (Thread)